Log in

No account? Create an account
Previous Entry Share Next Entry
Linguistic question...
Here in the US, where footballs are picked up, carried, and thrown by hand, footballers wear half their weight in armor, and the last 2 minutes of the game can last a half-hour, we have a tendency to refer to spheroid- or truncated-icosahedral-shaped objects as "soccer-ball shaped". I presume that in the rest of the world where footballs are truncated icosahedrons such shapes are called "football shaped".

What does the rest of the world call what in the US would be called "football-shaped"?

  • 1
I call it a funny lookin' punkin!

umm, I'm pretty sure most people would call a spheroid- or truncated-icosahedral-shaped object "round." An American football is ovoid.

What brought this to mind was reading, once again, that Buckmisterfullerene, C60, was "soccer-ball shaped". C60 has the structure of a truncated icosahedron, such that it has 20 hexagonal faces and 12 pentagonal faces. That is the same structure as is typical of traditional soccer-balls.

However, other fullerenes, like C70, aren't quite as round. Some can have quite pointy ends. If C60 is "soccer-ball shaped", a fullerene with two pointy ends would be "football-shaped". But how do you say that in French, for instance?

According to two friends of mine (one Australian and one Brit), the description would be "American football" shaped.

The "soccer ball" shape would often be called a "round football" by them, according to what they tell me.

  • 1