Previous Entry Share Next Entry
90-10 rule for massive downloads from microsoft.com.
blaisepascal
I'm downloading Visual Studio 2008 Professional Edition 90 day trial evaluation version. It's 3.3GB in size (and as an iso file, at that... does anyone know how to mount an iso file in Windows XP? Or am I gonna have to burn this sucker to a DVD?).

The 90-10 rule of downloads from Microsoft: The first 90% of the download takes 90% of the time. The remaining 10% of the download takes the remaining 90% of the time.

I do not understand why after downloading 3GB of data at a reasonable clip Microsoft's own download manager can't manage to maintain a connection for very long. I started at 4 hours ago and I'm at 93% now. Estimates for remaining time (as given by the download manager over the last hour) vary from 8min to 100+hr.

At least I'm getting some reading about Haskell Monads in.

  • 1
This is what I use for iso files under windoze xp:
http://infrarecorder.sourceforge.net/

On the other hand, I have a program that allows CD images to be mounted, but I do not know if it works for dvds. However, here is one that I found that does mount dvds:

http://www.magiciso.com/tutorials/miso-magicdisc-mount.htm
Good luck!!!

  • 1
?

Log in

No account? Create an account